Which documents needs a foreigner to open a bank account in Spain? Tips for foreigners


There are many people visiting our country every year. Lots of them are captivated by the Mediterranean climate and Spanish cuisine among others. So much so that they end up buying a home in Spain.
Of all administrative, banking and legal steps to do so, in this post we are going to inform you about the documentation that a foreigner need to open a bank account in Spain, so you can set up a direct debit for water, electricity, community and IBI bills of the new home.
The documentation will depend on some factors, including the country of the customer, because according to it, the bank will require a number of additional documents if they think is a country with a high risk of money laundering.
If the customer only needs to open a bank account or if he/she also needs financing, he/she will require different documents. The main documents are the following ones:
– To open a bank account
o Passport.
o 3 last payslips.
o Income tax.
o And certificate of the company they work with information about the salary, the position in the company and since when is working.
– To apply for mortgage
o In addition to the above, it is also requires a Credit Report that will inform about any other credit requested. In Spain they would get them in CIRBE (Central Risk), RAI (Register of Unpaid Acceptances) and ASNEF (National Association of Financial Credit Establishments).
o Also they have to provide the latest mortgage statement, if they have mortgage on their home, or rental agreement if they live in a rented house.
However, in any case, legal advisors Legalmed recall that this information is illustrative, and the bank will confirm which documents you need in each case. There are reflected here the most usual in the most cases.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank Legalmed Advisors, for the advice offered for this post. For more information you can contact them at legalmed@legalmed.es